Republicus

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." The Statue of Liberty (P.S. Please be so kind as to enter through the proper channels and in an orderly fashion)

Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Open Wide And Swallow


Here's Bill Clinton in Ames, Iowa the other day explaining why his loving, devoted wife Hillary didn't "dump him" to pursue her own political career:

"I thought she was the most gifted person of our generation," said Clinton, who said he told her, "You know, you really should dump me and go back home to Chicago or go to New York and take one of those offers you've got and run for office. I thought it would be wrong for me to rob her of the chance to be what I thought she should be." he said. "She laughed and said, 'First I love you and, second, I'm not going to run for anything, I'm too hardheaded.'"

That's funny. In 1992, Hillary said:

"I'm not some Tammy Wynette standing by my man. I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life."

Granted, a distinction can be drawn between her pursuing a legal career versus a political one to thus resemble consistency, but the real distinction is in her earlier "independent woman" remarks versus the portrait of a doting and dutiful wife that Bill is trying to triangulate her into for the sake of the middle-American, cookie-baking sensibilities that she had earlier sneered about.

Such sneering cost the Clinton's political goodwill from the get-go, and Hillary spent much of her time as First Lady doing damage control, harping endlessly about "The Children" and even having her supposedly very own cookie recipes published, along with an equally-saccharine book supposedly authored by Socks the cat in an over-compensating stab at cute and cuddliness (but managing only to rise to the level of a cloying corniness).

Socks, it should be added, was apparently not cute and cuddly enough to avoid being unloaded on White House secretary Betty Curry when the Clinton's bailed from the White House.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

If you want a good look at the relationship between the two of them see this link from Mike's America.

I might have included this link before, but it goes well with this post.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Phelonius said...

Ok, to come clean, and I suspect that a lot of you have considered me suspect before this:

I find the Clintons the single most disingenuous couple that have hit the tabloids since ...well...is there any real comparison?

I guess the relationship between Tom Cruse and Katie comes close. Good thing he is not gay anymore. But Tom Cruse is not of this planet anymore: so much the better.

I was in Arkansas when Mrs. Bill Clinton RAPED the education system there and caused them to fall from 39th in the nation to 49th in the nation. I reckon you will not hear the press talk about that very much. I also reckon you will not hear much about how the Clintoons were behind the "selective cutting" of trees in the federal forests in Arkansas as well. That program has increased the number of roads into the national forests by a huge number. I bet you will not hear other things....like the fact that when I was there the local authorities FORCED me to vote on the ballot with a pencil? That is not the problem of the Clintoons necessarily, but that is the nature of voting there. Vote Democrat OR ELSE!

The thing I enjoyed later was that when I talked to people in that county, the fact that the whole county went Democrat was a moot point. When I asked them to tell me if they had voted for Clinton, not a living single living soul amongst them would admit to it, but I knew that the entire county had voted Democrat! Thus, nobody voted for him, but he still won that county. Strange? Mysterious? Perhaps.

Nobody in the press will talk about things like the Mena Airport. They are not going to bring up things like the land deals the Clintoons made, and they sure as hell are not going to talk about her law firm and the shady deals that Mrs. Bill CLinton made while her two-timing husband was sleeping with everything that he could find. Those things are not good enough for the majority press right now.

But they still exist.

3:44 PM  
Blogger nanc said...

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

and, with what?

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home