Republicus

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." The Statue of Liberty (P.S. Please be so kind as to enter through the proper channels and in an orderly fashion)

Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

Sunday, September 28, 2008

YAAAARGH!!!


Somali Pirates Demand $20 Million Ransom for Weapons-Laden Ship
Sunday, September 28, 2008

MOGADISHU, Somalia — As a heavily armed U.S. destroyer patrolled nearby and planes flew overhead Sunday, a Somali pirate spokesman told The Associated Press his group was demanding a $20 million ransom to release a cargo ship loaded with Russian tanks.

The spokesman also warned that the pirates would fight to the death if any country tried military action to regain the ship, and a man who said he was the ship's captain reported that one crew member had died.

4 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

I don't remember what piece I wanted you to read, but you simply can't hate it SO much you wouldn't at least lie!?? (smile!) OH, it was the swimming pool piece, I remember..nag, nag.! HAA!!

so, what would YOU do with Somalia's situation? I'd do all I could to first protect the innocents on that ship, then blast the @$#&@ out of it!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger IOpian said...

I think if they are captured they should simply be thrown overboard and let the sharks decide their fate.

Now the Russians have their own methods. I may not get dates, times and names right but they have a special forces group I think called the Stazi. I seem to recall terrorists took and embassy and held the Russian ambassador hostage or killed him. I think this was in Lebanon. Instead of assaulting the building they found out who the terrorists were. They delivered the head of the leader's brother to the compound. The terrorists surrendered nor did they ever consider attempting that with the Russians again. Sometimes stark brutality saves a lot of lives.

9:34 PM  
Blogger John said...

z: Forgive me. I'll get to it soon.

iopian: I like seeing them team-up with the U.S.

Are you referring to the Chechens, perhaps?

I know they didn't like the way the Russians hit back.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russian tanks? Sounds like reason enough for the destroyer to hole her hull below the waterline.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home