Republicus

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." The Statue of Liberty (P.S. Please be so kind as to enter through the proper channels and in an orderly fashion)

Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Global Warming Dunnit!



Binghamton, N.Y.:

11.7 inches of snow fell on April 16.

Pretty freakish indeed, surpassing the old April record of 11.5 inches set on April 9...

...1960! (which, it should be added, was probably cited as evidence in the 1970's to support the "expert" predictions for a "Second Ice Age").

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I wish it would warm up just a little. I want spring!

8:15 AM  
Blogger nanc said...

yes, even our children are blaming not so good test scores on global warming these days...at least it's taken the heat off bush - pardon the pun...

9:45 AM  
Blogger Phelonius said...

Growing up in the 70's I remember watching "Spock" talk about how we were all going to be up to our butts in glaciers by now.

Sheesh.

My Mom recently told me about winters when she was growing up in west Texas as a kid, and they ARE different now than they were then. She remembers a great deal of snow, and enough of it that they could actually get lost in it.

As a kid I remember a few winters in the Texas Panhandle myself, and the weather has changed.

Now, let me relate a story that an OLD friend up there told me when I was just a kido. This was a WWI vet that had lived in the same place all his life except for his time with the Navy during that conflict.

He told me that when the dust bowl started, there were a lot of people that thought it was the beginning of Armageddon. There were preachers talking about the end of the world, and as it got worse, there were people committing suicide rather than face the end of the world.

The point of this is only that it seems to me that human nature never changes, and we really do love a good distraction from our daily lives. The wise amongst us know that the only fight that makes any difference is the fight that we can do this very same day. This old man, who was called "Hillfly Jones" of Quitaque, TX, was a true pioneer and a real survivor, and what he taught me was that you have to think for yourself. There are always 'mental terrorists' and they will always try and scare you away from common sense.

5:33 PM  
Blogger John said...

Well, there's something to the science linking increased CO2 levels to warming. But CO2's role in the overall warming trend, and human's overwhelming responsibility for the increase, is not settled at all, but remains dubious.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home