Republicus

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." The Statue of Liberty (P.S. Please be so kind as to enter through the proper channels and in an orderly fashion)

Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

Monday, January 22, 2007

Super Bowl XLI



Although Republicus finds the political sensibilities of leftist--and erstwhile resident troll-- Lee Harvey (a.k.a. Jeff-Jeff-Jeff) to be repugnant on multiple levels, the man does know football.

Republicus himself has never cared to study the minutiae of player statistics and how off-season horse-trading, hold-outs, hired Heisman holders, and other variables can change the equation from season to season.

And there are other factors which football connoisseurs (like odds-makers in Las Vegas and fans like Jeff) study and understand schematically and so are able to forecast probable outcomes with some reliability (although hardly an exact science).

Instead, Republicus (like anyone else, naturally), generally determines a team's excellence by their accumulating game-by-game performance, perhaps going back a season or two, and recognizes a gathered or gathering momentum which stands out and breaks a team free from the rest of the crowd.

Sometimes, one can recognize exceptionality and an inevitable march to glory early on and have that recognition redeemed, as demonstrated by the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the 1985 Chicago Bears, and the 1991 Washington Redskins; but at other times that regular season recognition is repealed, as with the 2005 Indianapolis Colts (who were the last team to remain undefeated at 13-0 before losing their first game in the home stretch and then being eliminated in the play-offs to finish 14-2, though coming just about as close as anyone has to touching the 1972 Dolphin's perfect season of 17-0).

Sometimes, admittedly--especially when concerning the Redskins--there is no rational indicator of post-season contention, or even hope for a run-of-the-mill, regular season game except for the belief in some kind of football fairy who can wave her wand and give da boyz (i.e. the Redskins) the eight points they need to win the game with less than a minute remaining.

Wishful thinking aside, however, Republicus indeed saw excellence--albeit belated-- in his Washington Redskins during the home stretch of the 2005 season, when they abruptly went from a measly 5-6 to a momentous 11-6 and entered the playoffs with a Wild Card win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers...

...before losing to the Seattle Seahawks in the first round.

Nevertheless, that was great football, and Republicus believed that the long-awaited Redskins Renaissance was at hand (assuming that even if they were to play just a little better in the '06 season than they did in '05, it would be enough to dominate the rest of the league seeing as how most of the games they had lost were very close and would have been won if they were indeed just a little bit better and more experienced).

And so Republicus felt confident--if not foolhardy--enough to venture this prediction to Jeff in the April 25, 2006 post "Way To Go, Tony!":

John said...

Da Boyz could very well go to the Super Bowl this year Jeff.

Jeff said...

Dreaming, I say they take a step back this year.

He was right.

And so Republicus cannot predict the outcome of Super Bowl XLI with any real authority--or even too much interest, for that matter, as his favorite teams have been eliminated, but he will say this:

Even though he was rooting for the New England Patriots in last night's AFC Championship game, the 12-4 Colts played great and won both the game and the respect of Republicus, having well-earned their ticket to Miami, and proving that last year's regular season domination was not a fluke.

Da Bearz at 13-3, however, know how to rumble, too.

Mayhem in Miami February 4.

And may the better team win.

30 Comments:

Blogger Phelonius said...

Yea yea yea....may the better team win....hooray (sigh)

I will watch this because both teams earned it, but my heart just isn't there because the Cowboys are ONCE AGAIN out of it.

Sheesh. At any rate, now Dallas will go through the torture of watching Jerry Jones (aka Napoleon) try to pick a coach.

2:52 PM  
Blogger John said...

You're not too sad about Tuna, are you?

3:53 PM  
Blogger nanc said...

ratz~! we're going to be at a brussel sprout convention that day!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Phelonius said...

I guess I won't miss Tuna too much, but he is a good coach and had done some things here of note. Principally he was able to co-exist with Jones and never tried to kill him publicly.

I would love to see Norve turner come here, but I think that he and Jones would have a time of it.

5:46 PM  
Blogger John said...

Nanc, RU serious?

As for Tuna being a "good coach," many have noticed that he's been on a down escalator since the Giants:

Giants - 2 Super Bowl victories
Patriots - Super Bowl Appearance (loss)
Jets - AFC Championship Game appearance (loss - blew 10 point halftime lead)
Cowboys - 2 playoff appearances (both losses)

Also, he jumped ship mid contract all 4 times.

As for Turner, although he did manage to--finally--take the Redskins to the playoffs, it was too little too late. He also had a dearth of charisma, and this Skins fan was not at all sorry to see him go.

7:25 PM  
Blogger nanc said...

i like golf. but, i'm a slave to NO spectator sport.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you Nanc. I am slave to no spectator sport.

The closest I have ever come to being at a professional football game is having been to a Van Halen concert at the Meadowlands...and that wasn't even in the Giants Stadium...it was at the arena next to it.

What a tailgait party that was...now what in the world was a Utah girl doing at a Van Halen concert in New Jersey? Good question.

But give me a good college football game between University of Utah and BYU...GO UTES!! and yet I am not a slave to that.

I think Jeff Jeff Jeff needs a life...;)

10:25 PM  
Blogger John said...

Jeff-Jeff-Jeff was right on about the Redskins (I could've sworn they were on the up escalator).

As or being a "slave to spectator sports," read the post again. I'm obviously not neck deep in stats or the inner workings of the NFL.

Van Halen. Cool, but I would've never guessed that Kelly would jam out to "Running With The Devil."

Vintage Van Halen or Van Hagar?

I like 'em both.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Van Hagar...5150 July 1986

"Love walks in"...

I made the Jeff Jeff comment because it was HE who was right on the money. ... we are too busy with life to pay THAT much attention to the game.

6:53 AM  
Blogger John said...

"Too busy with life?"

Ah, but football IS life, on many levels...

(something women seem to have a hard time understanding ;) )

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, you have to admit...I am a bit busy with life...not so much as to follow your blog...but just can't fit football into it..very much.

I always know what Super Bowl number it is, though. Age=Super Bowl number. Now if they ever skip one, I am done for.

When I was a kid I was a big fan of the Pittsburg Steelers...Don't ask me why. Up until a few years ago I was a majorly huge fan of the San Fransisco 49ers. That was because Steve Young was their qtr back.

Then there is knowing a little Green Bay Packers trivia. Vince Lombardi
"Winning isn't everything...It's the ONLY thing."

And with that I will say, football has its place and right now, I just can't keep track of it.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Phelonius said...

Kelly, I am just astonished at what you have taken on. I went to your other site there, and I am just humbled. My prayers will be with you. In some ways my paternal instinct wants us to be closer together so I could help you and your noble husband, but I know that there is not a lot I could actually make better unless I wake up in the morning as "Daddy Warbucks."
So if you do not have time for football, well, there are not many here that can criticise you for that ..LOL.
The truth be known, I have had very little time this past year that I can dedicate to watching sports of any kind.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James, I really appreciate your prayers...this has certainly changed the tone of the Super Bowl XLI post ;)

I really didn't expect this reaction from any of you. To be honest, I'm overwhelmed by it.

So, weren't we talking about football here???

11:16 PM  
Blogger John said...

Forget football! I just heard that VAN HALEN IS GOING ON TOUR AGAIN (WITH ROTH)!!!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Van Halen with Roth again, eh? They are alright with Roth, but I really liked them with Hagar.

7:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

I like 'em both.

Don't you like "Jump?"

"Ice Cream Man?" (lol)

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, I like Jump...but I really like Love walks in, Why Can't this be Love and Dreams.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and a guitar solo by Eddie is great either way.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Phelonius said...

David Lee Roth with Eddie Van Halen.....man does that ever take me back to college days. Wow. I never thought a stadium could ever be built that could hold their egos in one place, but I would sure like to see it!

As far as favorites....I guess 'Ice Cream Man' is way up there......

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Van Halen was part of my college days, too.

"And then you sense a change
Nothin' feels the same
All your dreams are strange
Love comes walkin' in
Some kind of alien
Waits for the opening
Simply pulls a string"...

OH man, I am there...East Rutherford, NJ...July 1986

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ticket stub

6:16 PM  
Blogger John said...

Bachman Turner Overdrive!

We're they still playing in 1986?

I thought they were strictly a seventies band.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they were only opening for other bands at that point.

OH...this reminds me of a Bon Jovi Concert I went to in Salt Lake a few years back...they had the Goo Goo Dolls opening for them. Now that was an awesome concert, too.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

That anonymous was me...not sure why it came out that way.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

This is really weird..several anonymous' are really me...they suddenly show up as that...not sure why.

8:48 PM  
Blogger John said...

THE POLICE ARE REUNITING!!!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Phelonius said...

I went with a good frind of mine and fellow musician to see Bachman Turner Overdrive as late as 1985 over at Billy Bob's in Ft Worth, TX. They were a lot of fun, but it was a smaller venue, and I have to say that was the single loudest concert I ever went to. My ears rang for a week after that.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I guess Sting figures he can share the limelight.

8:42 AM  
Blogger John said...

I think it's great.

I just wish the Beatles managed to get over personal frictions before Lennon died (of course, it's Yoko's fault).

Before Harrison died--and what with all the other obligatory band resurrections throughout the eighties and nineties--including the Jackson 5! (the post-MJ Thriller "Victory Tour")--I was hoping that they, if they couldn't muster the sentiment, at least had the business acumen to realize that a world-wide tour with Paul, Ringo, George, and Julian Lennon (not Sean, or what the hell, both, just to shut Yoko up) would probably be the single greatest world tour in Rock N' Roll history (smashing records and keeping their own for a generation(s)).

Now if Jim Morrison would just come out of hiding in Africa...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

At least I saw the final score..

Colts 29/Bears 17

Looks like the Bears were off the field during the last qtr.

Interesting...I was in Indianapolis just over a year ago...just driving through.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home